Fritz Levedag was born in Munster in 1899 and began his art training in 1924 at the Dusseldorf Fine Arts Academy. By 1927 he had transferred to the Bauhaus in Dessau, then under the leadership of Gropius. Levedag was soon recognized as one of the school’s finest pupils and was regarded as a friend and colleague by his teachers Klee and Kandinsky. In 1929 Levedag left for Berlin where he served as Assistant Architect to Gropius for the next several years. Levedag later founded his own art school in Dusseldorf, however it was forced to close in 1937 under
the Nazi regime.
It was at the Bauhaus, through the teachings of Klee and Kandinsky, that Levedag found a powerful visual language for his art. Joachim Büchner, the author of a catalogue of Levedag’s drawings, describes the artist as being “situated between Kandinsky’s rational approach to form and the magical metamorphoses of Klee. The geometric element prevails in Levedag’s work, along with his powerful sense of colour, and his works strike a harmonious balance between motion and fixity, between tension and radiation.” The art critic Gerhard Handler likewise describes Levedag’s paintings as very geometric, almost cubist in character;
“Proportion is the dominating factor in the simple structure of sharply delineated planes, triangles, rectangles, circles, segments or swinging lines – combining precision with spontaneity, restraint with freedom.”
Levedag continued to build on the theories of Klee and Kandinsky, painting and drawing until his death in 1951. Living a decade beyond his Bauhaus mentors, Levedag’s art can be seen as a last expression of their work. The paintings and drawings included in the Childs Gallery exhibition are drawn from Levedag’s personal collection of favorite works, as well as a number of works produced toward the end of his career.