The Delphic Sibyl, from Prophets and Sibyls, early 1570s
Bartsch 20; Boorsch and Lewis 49 iiib/IV. From Prophets and Sibyls, a portfolio of six engravings after Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel frescoes. Inscribed on a tablet beneath the feet of the Sibyl: “DELPHICA”; inscribed beneath the seated figure at bottom right: “.G.MF 1540 / Nico. uan aelst / for. Romae.”. A very good, strong impression, printed on laid paper with AMG Serafini Fabriano watermark (Boorsch and Lewis 47), indicating a printing of probably 1690. In very good condition, aside from minor creases visible verso; adhered at top edge to backing, sheet hangs free; trimmed on 3 sides.