Aegina, the Black Forest [Temple of Aphaia, Aegina, Greece], 1913
From the “Land of Temples” series. Beall 10; Wuerth 330. Edition of 50. Signed in pencil lower. Watermark is: “Ingres”. A fine impression on laid paper, in fine condition with full margins.
The ruins of this Doric peripital temple are located on the Saronic Isle of Aegina; it was constructed around 500 BCE after an earlier structure from the 6th century BCE was destroyed. The temple was dedicated to Aphaia, a local deity later assimilated by Athena. (From the Hellenic Ministry of Culture website)