Grundy 36, published by R. Acherman. Inscribed in stone lower left: “James Ward R.A. Pinxt et Delt. / Dogs of the Dalmation breed-from an original picture in the possession of Sir John Fleming Leicester Baronet &c.&c.; inscribed in stone lower right: “London Pubd. May 1st 1824 R. Ackermann Strand” Inscribed in pencil by Ward after the printed “1824”: “By P. Clay Ludgate Hill and Dickinson Bond Street”. A fine impression in fine condition aside from small repaired tear in lower margin, on reinforced backing paper; with margins of 3/16′ on top and sides, trimmed to the inscription at bottom.
According to Grundy, Ward lithographed the stone at de Tabley Park for Sir John Leicester, afterwards Lord de Tabley, from a picture by Ward in his collection (p.) The painting referred to is probably Grundy 231, “Dalmatian Dogs”, exhibited at the British Institution, 1806.